27 April 2011

Another weekend = another show!

This Saturday and Sunday I'll be in Reading, Pennsylvania exhibiting at CGS's SuperShow:


The fine folks at Comic Geek Speak were some of the earliest supporters of VIETNAMERICA, so I'm honored to be participating for the first time in their artist-centric comic extravaganza. Now for some work:



This illustration is for my pal Michael Lapinski's comic Feeding Ground, a supernatural modern day thriller about werewolves and The Devil's Highway. I had a lot of fun with my twist on the book's dark tone and paying homage to the state of my youth. Being a fan of seeing other artists' work process, thought I'd share my own on this piece. Here's the initial sketch I showed Michael (always drawn at print size):

Then it gets enlarged and refined with blue pencil before inking, which for the most part I use this refillable brush pen which fellow cartoonist Leland Purvis turned me onto a while back. (I'm too impatient for dipping brushes, and this brush pen's size has a lot of versatility)


Next is adding ink washes (usually done on a separate piece of watercolor paper that has the line art lightly printed on it, than scanned and combined in P'shop):


And finally, P'shop colors. I try to limit my palettes and for this illustration, most important was capturing the beautiful and brutal heat of the desert, so it made sense to use complimentary greens to emphasize the sickliness and weariness of the traveler.

No comments: