07 April 2011

Mo' comics, mo' fun, Mo' CCA (and something for mo'm-in-law)!

I'll be exhibiting this weekend at the MoCCA Fest, a great time and must-see for comic lovers near and far:


Unlike past years, I won't have my own table but will instead be at my publisher's. I'll also be at MoCCA's sketch table from 1:30-2:30 on Sunday (you can check out the entire roster of sketching artist times here). I don't know where I'll be located, but just look for the bald asian with this special edition poster comic/book jacket that comes free with every copy of VIETNAMERICA:


On the other side of the country, my mom-in-law just gave a presentation about comics and graphic novels for her local museum's docent program. She included VIETNAMERICA (nepotism is alive and well!) and asked me for a quick comic to introduce it in her slide presentation. Four hours later, voila:



I enjoyed the exercise in seeing what I could come up with in an extremely limited time frame (and knowing it was going to be seen for only 30 seconds took all the pressure off). Might actually try the 24-hour comic challenge one of these days...

3 comments:

The Could You Even Imagine Blog said...

I stumbled on your book here in Denver - Tattered Books. It was pure chance.

I'm a 1/2 Blood so it really speaks to me and better helps me understand my Mom. I look forward to any future works by you. I wish these types of books were around (and in this format) back in the early 90's. It's only now as I'm about to turn 40 that I care to know about where my Mother came from and begin to understand who she really is.

I wish you all the best!

Walt-in-Denver

jnguyễn said...

I meant to come by this weekend but ended up spending it in the hospital, ack! T_T LoL. I hope you had a fantastic time, and maybe I can catch you in the future. Haha!

GB Tran said...

Thanks so much, Walt. Putting my family's journey to paper definitely helped me better understand who/why my parents are, and continues to fundamentally shift our relationship. It means a lot that you connect with the book in such a personal way despite us being complete strangers! In a similar vein, I highly recommend Carol Tyler's series about her father and WWII (www.bloomerland.com)...

Julie, hope you're okay! I had the pleasure of meeting your "sis" at ECCC, and hope to meet you at another local event soon...